Who are the 144,000 Sealed in Revelation 7? Chart Adapted from Nelson Walters
1. Pre-Tribulation Camp: 144,000 are Jewish evangelists, who spread the gospel AFTER the Church has been removed from the earth in a Pre-Tribulation Rapture Rapture. sealed for physical protection in the Great Tribulation.
a. Nowhere in scripture can it be shown the 144,000 are evangelists. It is based on pure speculation.
b. 144,000 are not sealed until AFTER the 6th seal (Cosmic signs), which occurs after the Great Tribulation.
2. Post-Tribulation Camp: Some say these are protected Christians are sealed before the 7 Trumpet judgments begin. Other say these are protected Jews.
a. The 144,000 are very specifically Jewish, 12,000 from each of the 12 tribes. They are ethnic Jews, not gentile Christians.
3. Pre-wrath Camp: the 144,000 Jews are sealed, hidden and protected before the wrath of God begins. The sealing is protection from the Wrath of God (7 Trumpets and 7 Bowls).
Clue Box for a new theory regarding the 144,000
1. The 144,000 are Jewish.
2. There are exactly 144,000 Jews, a specific number, not symbolic. There are no symbolic numbers in the Book of Revelation.
3. “Sealed” Everywhere this term is used in the New Testament it means saved and receiving the Holy Spirit. Never used solely as a means of protection. 144,000 are called “servants of God” therefore they are saved at this point.
Ephesians 1:13 (NIV) 13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,
Ephesians 4:30 (NIV) 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
2 Corinthians 1:22 (NIV) 22 set his seal of ownership on us and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.
2 Timothy 2:19 (NIV) 19 Nevertheless, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness."
Revelation 7:3-4 (NIV) 3 "Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God." 4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.
4. 144,000 have Jesus name written on their forehead, and the Father’s name. These are Hebrew Christians, the Remnant of Israel, the First Fruits.
Revelation 14:1-5 (NIV) 1 Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father's name written on their foreheads.
2 And I heard a sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters and like a loud peal of thunder. The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps. 3 And they sang a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and the elders. No one could learn the song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. 4 These are those who did not defile themselves with women, for they kept themselves pure. They follow the Lamb wherever he goes. They were purchased from among men and offered as firstfruits to God and the Lamb. 5 No lie was found in their mouths; they are blameless.
5. Israel is no longer in the “Dog-House.” The “full number of gentiles has come in,” Israel is no longer experiencing a hardening and this is the “first fruits” of Israel’s salvation promised in Romans 11:25-27.
Romans 11:25-27 (NIV) 25 I do not want you to be ignorant of this mystery, brothers, so that you may not be conceited: Israel has experienced a hardening in part until the full number of the Gentiles has come in. 26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written: "The deliverer will come from Zion; he will turn godlessness away from Jacob. 27 And this is my covenant with them when I take away their sins."